Israel ‘not to warn US’ on Iran attack, says US intelligence official

clip_image001

The Israeli government has reportedly decided not to forewarn the United States if and when it decides to launch military strikes against Iran’s nuclear energy program. Citing a US intelligence insider, the Associated Press reported on Monday that American officials have been given the message “in a series of private, top-level” meetings with senior Israeli leaders. Tel-Aviv’s decision not to notify Washington about a possible attack on Tehran has been allegedly communicated to US officials by none other than Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Minister of Defense Ehud Barak.

The US intelligence official, who tipped off the Associated Press anonymously, said that the two men have been relaying the same message to a host of American officials who have visited Israel in the past several weeks. The officials include the US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin Dempsey, as well as several senior American lawmakers. The intelligence source told The Associated Press that Tel Aviv’s decision to keep its cards on Iran close to its chest was solidified following a series of meetings last week between the Israeli leadership and White House National Security Adviser Tom Donilon (pictured). The American official relayed to Netanyahu, Barak and others, the opinion of the White House that a military attack on Iran would be both dangerous and counterproductive.

Continue reading

Gadhafi’s son captured: reports

Ronald D. Orol

Saif al-Islam Gadhafi sits in an airplane in Zintan, LIbya, on Saturday after being captured in the southern desert and flown to the northern city.

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) – Moammar Gadhafi’s son has been captured in the desert by fighters who plan to hold him until there is a Libyan administration to which they can hand him over, according to media reports Saturday.

Gadhafi’s son, Saif al-Islam Gadhafi, 39, had been accused of crimes against humanity.

Saif al-Islam was captured near the southern desert city of Obari and flown to the fighters’ base in Zintan, in northern Libya, the BBC reported.

It was unclear Saturday whether al-Islam will face trial in Libya or whether he will be transferred to the International Criminal Court in the Hague, Netherlands, for a trial there for his alleged involvement in the killings of civilian protesters.

Prior to the uprising in Libya, al-Islam appeared set to take over from his father to rule the country. His father, who ruled Libya for almost 42 years, was captured and killed by rebels on Oct. 20. Another son, Mutassim, was killed the same day and a third son, Khamis, was killed earlier in the civil war.

Al-Islam had been in hiding since the National Transitional Council, the current government of Libya, had pushed his father from Libya’s capital Tripoli in August.

Protests in Egypt

Thousands take part in Friday prayers in Cairo’s Tahrir Square as they demand an end to military rule and a new constitution in Egypt. Video and image: Reuters

The council was established by anti-Gadhafi forces during the civil war in Libya. It seeks to set up a constitutional democracy with an elected government, according to reports. Continue reading

US Supports India’s List of 50 Most Wanted Fugitives

Population density in Pakistan.

Image via Wikipedia

The Obama Administration today supported India‘s move to submit the list of its 50 most wanted fugitives to Pakistan, saying this is part of the on-going dialogue between the two neighbours.

“I think submitting this list is part of this dialogue that they have ongoing between their Home Secretaries about steps that Pakistan can take to again reduce the threat from Pakistan based terrorists against India. Obviously we support that. We haven’t really coordinated on that list itself, though,” Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia Robert Blake said. Continue reading