February 22, 2015 By Rick Moran
The Somali terrorist group al-Shabaab released a video this weekend claiming to target several malls and shopping centers in the US and Great Britain. The most prominent target mentioned by the terrorists was the Mall of America in Minneapolis.
Minneapolis has a large Somali population and it is reported by DHS that al-Shabaab has been actively recruiting residents. DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson told CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday that shoppers should be vigilant when visiting the mall.
“If anyone is planning to go to the Mall of America today, they’ve got to be particularly careful,” Johnson said.
“There will be enhanced security there, but public vigilance, public awareness and public caution in situations like this is particularly important, and it’s the environment we’re in, frankly,” he said.
His comments come as the Mall of America implements new security measures — some of which the mall said in a statement would be noticeable to shoppers. Continue reading
Posted in Security, Somalia, Terrorism, US
- Tagged Al-Qaeda, Al-Shabaab (militant group), Alberta, Kenya, List of shopping malls in Canada, Mall of America, Somalia, United Kingdom, United States, West Edmonton Mall
North Korea recently conducted a test of an ejection launcher that U.S. intelligence agencies assess is part of Pyongyang’s recently discovered submarine-launched ballistic missile program. Despite those alleged facts, analysts question the maturity of the North Korean missile submarine program.
North Korea recently conducted a test of an ejection launcher that U.S. intelligence agencies assess is part of Pyongyang’s recently discovered submarine-launched ballistic missile program – the 38 North website last month.
The U.S. publication said that U.S. intelligence agencies observed the land-based test of the ejection launcher in late October at a facility known to be a key development center for the communist state’s submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) program. The source speculated that the launcher also could be used by North Korea to launch ballistic or cruise missiles from the deck of a freighter or other kinds of surface vessels. Continue reading
Posted in Military, North Korea, Technology, US
- Tagged Angelo State University, Ballistic missile, Golf class submarine, Government of South Korea, Korean People's Army, North Korea, South Korea, Submarine-launched ballistic missile, United States, Yonhap
By Khaama Press – Sun Nov 16 2014, 1:06 pm
At least 15 Taliban militants were killed and 16 others were injured during clearing operations by Afghan national security forces.
The Ministry of Interior (MoI) said at least 3 Taliban militants were also arreted during the operations conducted by Afghan National Police (ANP), Afghan National Army and Afghan Intelligence – National Directorate of Security (NDS) forces.
A statement released by MoI said the operations were conducted in Kandahar, Kunar, Laghman, Zabul, Uruzgan, Ghazni and Paktia provinces. Continue reading
English: FBI Mobile Command Center in Washington DC. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
By: Amanda Vicinanzo, Senior Editor
10/20/2014 ( 9:57am)
Against the backdrop of notorious defense contractor Edward Snowden’s massive leak of classified documents last year, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) recently published a report revealing the threat posed by malicious insiders who threaten the security of the sensitive information that US businesses rely on.
The DHS report identified a significant increase of disgruntled or former employees sabotaging company networks. Lockheed Martin—an American global aerospace, defense, security and advanced technology company—indicates that investigations conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation reveal that 59 percent of employees admit to taking proprietary information upon termination.
Moreover, the report stated , “A review of recent FBI cyber investigations revealed victim businesses incur significant costs ranging from $5,000 to $3 million due to cyber incidents involving disgruntled or former employees.” Continue reading
ICANN Logo (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
While America tucks into Thanksgiving turkey, the world will be taking over the net
On February 8, 2000, the US government signed a contract with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) to run the so-called “IANA functions” – which glue together the internet as we know it.
Ever since that day, people have been trying to end that contract. This time next year, it will finally happen.
Unfortunately, despite having had nearly 14 years to think about it, the process for deciding how to move the global internet and its addressing systems out from under a US government contract will be decided in the next four weeks. By 100 people. Mostly over email.
The CWG, or Cross Community Working Group (CWG) to Develop an IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal on Naming Related Functions, to give it its full title, has until 27 November to complete its deliberations. Continue reading
The tiny, gas-rich emirate has pumped tens of millions of dollars through obscure funding networks to hard-line Syrian rebels and extremist Salafists, building a foreign policy that punches above its weight. After years of acquiescing — even taking advantage of its ally’s meddling — Washington may finally be punching back.
BY Elizabeth Dickinson SEPTEMBER 30, 2014
ABU DHABI and DOHA — Behind a glittering mall near Doha’s city center sits the quiet restaurant where Hossam used to run his Syrian rebel brigade. At the battalion’s peak in 2012 and 2013, he had 13,000 men under his control near the eastern city of Deir Ezzor. “Part of the Free Syrian Army (FSA), they are loyal to me,” he said over sweet tea and sugary pastries this spring. “I had a good team to fight.”
Hossam, a middle-aged Syrian expat, owns several restaurants throughout Doha, Qatar, catering mostly to the country’s upper crust. The food is excellent, and at night the tables are packed with well-dressed Qataris, Westerners, and Arabs. Some of his revenue still goes toward supporting brigades and civilians with humanitarian goods — blankets, food, even cigarettes.
He insists that he has stopped sending money to the battle, for now. His brigade’s funds came, at least in part, from Qatar, he says, under the discretion of then Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Khalid bin Mohammed Al Attiyah. But the injection of cash was ad hoc: Dozens of other brigades like his received initial start-up funding, and only some continued to receive Qatari support as the months wore on. When the funds ran out in mid-2013, his fighters sought support elsewhere. “Money plays a big role in the FSA, and on that front, we didn’t have,” he explained. Continue reading
THE Foreign Office has said it is “working urgently to verify” a video purporting to show the beheading of Scottish aid worker David Haines.
The 44-year-old was thought to be being held by Islamic militants in Syria after being taken hostage in March last year.
A video was released tonight which appears to show Mr Haines talking to the camera before being murdered.
Prime Minister David Cameron has described the beheading of British aid worker David Haines as “an act of pure evil”.
The Prime Minister said: “This is a despicable and appalling murder of an innocent aid worker. It is an act of pure evil.
“My heart goes out to the family of David Haines who have shown extraordinary courage and fortitude throughout this ordeal. Continue reading
FOREIGN Secretary Philip Hammond declared yesterday that every possible option will be explored to protect a Scottish hostage whose life is being threatened by the same jihadists who have already killed two American journalists.
The 44-year-old aid worker appeared in a video released by Islamic State (IS) extremists on Tuesday. His family has asked for him not to be named.
At the end of the chilling film, a masked knifeman stands above the captive Scot, warning countries entering an “evil alliance” with the United States against IS to “back off”.
Speaking after a meeting of the government’s Cobra emergency committee yesterday, Mr Hammond said the latest video – which depicts the murder of American Steven Sotloff by a jihadist with a British accent – appeared genuine. Continue reading
Fighters of the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) stand guard at a checkpoint in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, June 11, 2014. (photo by REUTERS)
US President Barack Obama is reviewing a range of options to deal with the takeover of Mosul and other Iraqi cities by the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS).
Summary⎙ Print The Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) has depended on the Turkish border for its operations in Syria; US Sen. Tim Kaine offers a blueprint for US-Egypt ties; Al-Monitor’s Year in Review and Back Channel.
Author Week in Review Posted June 14, 2014
Translator(s)Sibel Utku Bila
The prospects are daunting for Iraq, now split in three, to be put back together. The potential for a political dialogue among Iraq’s political factions, also urged by Obama, seems distant.
Even US airstrikes, which the administration is considering, would need to be coordinated with ground operations by the Iraqi army, whose effectiveness is in question after its collapse this week in facing ISIS.
Posted in Iraq, ISIS, Terrorism, Turkey, War & Conflicts
- Tagged Barack Obama, Iraq, ISIS, Islamic State of Iraq, Mosul, Syria, Turkey, United States