Newspaper retracts report of Turkish jets attacking Syrian rebels

img03337

By IAN ALLEN | intelNews.org

 

A Turkish newspaper has retracted a report stating that Turkish military jets entered Syrian territory and destroyed an outpost belonging to an al-Qaeda-linked rebel group, after its members attacked a Turkish military garrison along the Syrian-Turkish border. In a published correction, the paper said instead that the Turkish army opened fire from inside Turkey. Today’s Zaman, the English-language edition of Turkish daily Zaman, reported on January 29 that Turkish F-16s had entered Syrian territory and had bombed a stationary convoy of vehicles belonging to the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria, or ISIS, an al-Qaeda-linked group that made its appearance in Syria in April of last year.

The origins of ISIS are in Iraq, where it was founded in 2003 as a Sunni armed paramilitary force, in response to the invasion by the United States. In 2004, the group pledged allegiance to al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden, and changed its name to Al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI). Many observers argue that, in recent months, ISIS has turned into “one of the most powerful forces on the ground” in Syria, with 7,000 well-armed fighters, many of whom are battle-hardened foreign Islamists.

Continue reading

Terrorism suspects may have trained at Chino paintball facility featuring simulated Middle Eastern cities

Doug Saunders and Beau Yarbrough, Staff Writers

Updated:   11/23/2012 08:36:46 PM PST

image

The entrance to SC Village in Chino. The field was used for training by four Inland Empire men who were arrested on suspicion of plotting to join Al-Qaida and the Taliban in Afghanistan in hopes of killing Americans. ( Micah Escamilla Correspondent)

CHINO – Two of the four Inland Empire men arrested on terrorism-related charges this week may have trained at a paintball park featuring a simulation of the Pakistani town where al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed.

According to FBI documents released this week, Ralph Deleon, 23, of Ontario, and Miguel Alejandro Santana Vidriales, 21, of Upland, went to an as-yet-unidentified Corona-area paintball/airsoft facility with a confidential informant on Sept. 23.

Continue reading

Bin Laden was in Muslim Brotherhood, says al-Qaeda chief

27 September 2012, 16:47 (GMT+05:00)

Al-Qaeda’s late leader Osama bin Laden was a member of the Muslim Brotherhood before taking up arms against Soviets in Afghanistan, his successor Ayman al-Zawahiri said in a video message released Thursday, dpa reported.

“Sheikh Osama bin Laden was in the Muslim Brotherhood organization in the Arabian Peninsula. When the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan began (in 1979), he immediately went to Pakistan to meet the mujahideen and assist them,” al-Zawahiri added in the hour-long video reposted on Jihadology, a US-based website on extremist groups. Continue reading

Officials: More Al Qaeda Bombs Unaccounted For

clip_image001

New ‘Underwear’ Bomb Plot Stopped

Auto Start: On | Off

By BRIAN ROSS (@brianross) , RICHARD ESPOSITO and RHONDA SCHWARTZ

May 7, 2012

U.S. and European officials say that even though an al Qaeda bomber was stopped before he could board a plane for the U.S., the threat is far from over — there are believed to be several other would-be bombers with similar non-metallic devices that could get through most airport security screening.

Federal officials confirmed today that the U.S., working with other intelligence agencies, recovered an explosive device that resembles other bombs manufactured by al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. They described it as a refinement of the so-called underwear bomb with which AQAP recruit Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab tried to take down Northwest flight 253 to Detroit on Christmas Day 2009.

The plot was timed to coincide with the first anniversary of Osama bin Laden’s death, but the bomber was apprehended before he could purchase plane tickets or choose a U.S.-bound flight. Continue reading

Australia -Scorched earth terror threat

Natalie O’Brien  May 6, 2012

clip_image001

Smoke over the Opera House … an image in an al-Qaeda-linked magazine.

Australia has been named as a specific target for pyro-terrorism in the latest edition of an online terrorism magazine linked with al-Qaeda.

A picture of the Opera House with smoke clouds behind it – captioned ”Sydney city on fire” – has been used to illustrate a story that promotes the use of bushfires as terrorist attacks.

The article in Inspire magazine, titled ”It is of your freedom to ignite a firebomb”, gives a step-by-step guide to building an ”ember bomb”, which it advocates as the best way to start destructive fires.

The article’s release was condemned yesterday by the Attorney-General, Nicola Roxon, who said there was no imminent threat against Australia.

However, Ms Roxon said it was a timely reminder, one year since the death of Osama bin Laden, that the threat of violent extremism in Australia remained. ”I have instructed my department to draw this material to the attention of relevant authorities, including the Australian Federal Police and the Australian Communications and Media Authority.”

Continue reading

Australia signs new ‘counter-terrorism agreement’ with US

Frame grab from the Osama bin Laden videotape ...

Frame grab from the Osama bin Laden videotape released by the Department of Defense on Dec. 13, 2001. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Sydney, Fri, 04 May 2012 ANI

Sydney, May 4 (ANI): Australia has signed a new counter terrorism deal with U. S. which highlights the threat of extremism at home and abroad,

Homeland Security Secretary, Janet Napolitano, the Australian Attorney-General, Nicola Roxon, and Justice Minister Jason Clare signed joint statements on transnational crime and counter-terrorism in Canberra on Friday.

The agreements came as papers seized from the Pakistan compound of Osama bin Laden were publicly released, documenting the late terrorist leader’s ambition for further attacks on the “malignant tree” of the US and its allies.

Continue reading

Al-Qaeda now ‘incapable of 9/11-scale attack’

GSPC Area of Operations & Pan-Sahel Initiative...

GSPC Area of Operations & Pan-Sahel Initiative nations (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Washington – Al-Qaeda‘s core organisation is likely incapable of carrying out another mass-casualty attack on the scale of 11 September 2001, US intelligence and counterterrorism officials said on Friday.
US government experts also believe that the likelihood of an attack using chemical, biological, atomic or radiological weapons over the next year was not high, said Robert Cardillo, deputy director of US National Intelligence.
Cardillo and other US officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, described these assessments on a conference call with journalists billed as an opportunity for government experts to voice their assessments of al-Qaeda’s potency a year after the killing of Osama bin Laden in a US commando raid.
Cardillo said the al-Qaeda “core” organisation that bin Laden created has suffered strategic setbacks due to the outbreak of “Arab Spring” protests and rebellions in Islamic countries, which have not spread great sympathy for al-Qaeda’s hardline and violent brand of Islam.

Continue reading

A further demonstration of the rewards of a long career in terrorism

PUBLISHED: 14:17 GMT, 26

By Steve Doughty

March 2012 | UPDATED: 17:29 GMT, 26 March 2012

You love life and we love death, Al Qaeda once proclaimed. The slogan now needs a little reworking to make room for Abu Qatada, who loves his large house in north west London.

Something like you love life, we love death, but only for other people.
Abu Qatada, you will recollect, is the man once described by a judge as Osama Bin Laden’s right-hand man in Europe. He is living in Britain courtesy of the European Court of Human Rights, which has ruled he could not get a fair trial if he were deported to his native Jordan. The Strasbourg judges fear evidence gained through torture could be used against him.

We know that Qatada is enjoying life because we have it from his brother in Jordan, who has said that ‘right now he is the happiest man in England’.

clip_image001

Rehoused: Qatada has been handed a more expensive taxpayer-funded home

This is a major endorsement for the Court of Human Rights, the European human rights convention which it enforces, and of course the Human Rights Act, which gives these rules precedence in our own law. In America, the Declaration of Independence offers the right only to the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness.

Here the European court will give you happiness on a plate, although there has to be some doubt about the life bit if Abu Qatada is allowed to hang around for long.

According to his brother Ibrahim Othman, Qatada spends his days with his wife and five children living the simple life, watching Islamic TV channels and reading Islamic texts.

I’m surprised he’s not a Rolling Stones fan. You may remember Keith Richards saying happiness is not a Lear Jet to fly home on.

But if we are to believe Mr Othman, the main source of Qatada’s happiness is not his piety but his house. Let him tell it: ‘They have now given him a very nice new place, bigger than the first house he went to.

Continue reading

9/11: Al Qaeda mark anniversary with Ayman al-Zawahiri and Osama Bin Laden video

Al Qaeda marked 10th anniversary of 9/11 with hour-long video featuring new leader and unreleased footage of Bin Laden

By Wil Longbottom

Last updated at 5:30 PM on 13th September 2011

Al Qaeda has marked the 10th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks with an hour-long video released on jihadist websites, an intelligence monitoring service has revealed.

U.S.-based Site Monitoring Services said the video featured an audio speech by the new leader, Egyptian Ayman al-Zawahiri, as well as previously unreleased footage of former leader Osama bin Laden.

The 62-minute video, called The Dawn of Imminent Victory, was posted on jihadist forums yesterday. Zawahiri is shown in a still photo.