Sunday, Apr 10 2011
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 12:48 AM on 10th April 2011
No threat: U.S. General David Petraeus said the coalition would be keeping pressure on al Qaeda fighters
The commander of U.S and Nato forces in Afghanistan does not believe al Qaeda fighters are coming back in to Afghanistan to engage coalition forces.
U.S. Army General David Petraeus said there was still an al Qaeda presence in the war-torn country, but it was greatly diminished.
He told reporters at the Coalition’s HQ in Kabul: ‘There is no question that al Qaeda has had a presence in Afghanistan and continues to have a presence – generally assessed at less than 100 or so.
‘There certainly has been some exploration for potential safe havens or sanctuaries in very mountainous areas of Nuristan and parts of Kunar provinces.
‘Our intention, with our Afghan partners, is to maintain pressure on those who are seeking to establish safe havens.’
The general said the recent deaths of seven U.N. workers in Mazar-e-Sharif, following the burning of a Muslim holy book last month in Florida, would not affect plans for Afghan security forces to take over security in the provincial capital this July. Continue reading
Posted in News, Reports, Security, Terrorism, War & Conflicts
- Tagged Afghanistan, Al-Qaeda, David Petraeus, Demography of Afghanistan, Mazar-i-Sharif, Ministry of Defense (Afghanistan), Mohammad Zahir Azimi