ISIS claims Tunisian beach resort massacre

2015-06-27 09:00
(File: AP)(File: AP)

Tunis – The Islamic State group on Saturday claimed responsibility for a massacre in a Tunisian seaside resort that killed nearly 40 people in the worst attack in the country’s recent history.

The jihadists said the gunman, who they identified as Abu Yahya al-Qayrawani, was a “solider of the caliphate” who had targeted enemies of ISIS and “dens… of vice” in Port el Kantaoui.

Most of those killed were “subjects of states that make up the crusader alliance fighting the state of the caliphate”, the group said in a statement released on Twitter.

The attack targeted “dens [of…] fornication, vice and apostasy in the city of Sousse” and was carried out “despite [security] measures strengthened around these dens on Kantaoui beach”, it added. Continue reading

Advertisements

Australian Terrorism Suspect Shot Dead After Stabbing Police

By Edward Johnson and Jason Scott Sep 24, 2014 4:31 AM GMT+0200

Photographer: Luis Ascui/Getty Images

An 18-year-old man shot dead by Australian police after stabbing two officers was a terrorism suspect under investigation for waving an Islamic State flag in a shopping center.

The teenager attacked two counter-terrorism officers yesterday evening outside a Melbourne police station, where he was due to be interviewed about his behavior, Australian Federal Police Acting Commissioner Andrew Colvin told reporters today. The man’s passport had recently been canceled on security grounds, Colvin said.

Australia raised its terrorism alert to the highest level in a decade this month, citing the threat posed by supporters of Islamic State extremists. Last week, authorities said police foiled an alleged beheading plot by the group after carrying out the nation’s largest ever anti-terrorism raid.

The incident last night “indicates there are people in our community who are capable of very extreme acts,” Prime Minister Tony Abbott said en route to New York, where he is attending a United Nations Security Council meeting on how to tackle the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

Continue reading

Ex-NSA chief warns of jihadi wave in India

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:59pm IST

London: A new version of jihad is attracting “small but steady stream” of Indians to join Islamic State movement in Syria, Former National Security Advisor (NSA) MK Narayanan warned on Tuesday.

“New version jihad is proving to be highly attractive for its strength is spiritual purity. More and more youngsters find this very attractive,” the former director of Intelligence Bureau said at a lecture.

“As a result of online propaganda, I would say the jihadi wave is achieving new heights today. In India, what we are witnessing today is a small but steady stream of recruits from different states trying to join the ranks of ISIS in Syria,” he added.

Ex-NSA chief warns of jihadi wave in India

Narayanan also highlighted cyber terrorism as another major security imperative before India.

The security expert, who recently stepped down as West Bengal governor, was speaking on the ‘Security Challenges and Strategic Imperatives for India’ at the International Institute of Strategic Studies (IISS). Continue reading

Islamic State’s war propaganda for women attracts social media users

Social media becomes a window to a war zone that several women in South Florida say they follow even though they oppose terrorism
Author: Andrea Torres, Local10.com Reporter, atorres@local10.com
Published On: Sep 17 2014 07:30:22 PM EDT   Updated On: Sep 18 2014 11:38:41 AM EDT

August 21st Facebook post defined as a “selfie” by Diary of A Muhajirah user.

MIAMI – A user’s recent social media posts read like a movie: A woman trained as a doctor travels to a war zone. She falls in love and gets pregnant. She suffers the inevitable reality of war in Syria.The social media user posts on Twitter and Facebook links to a Tumbler blog titled “Diary Of A Traveler”. The user has followers from all over the world — including South Florida. Maria Elena Carrillo, 35, a Venezuelan of Lebanese descent, said she has been following the blog since March.

“Her identity is a mystery. She said her legal name was Shams and that she was 26 and was from Malaysia, but no one knows if that’s true,” Carrillo said. “Her English is perfect. It could all be just clever propaganda for all we know. And there could be more than one person posting.” Continue reading

Video claims to show execution of Scottish hostage

Haines, 44, was taken while working for ACTED in Syria in March 2013, having previously helped local people in Libya and South Sudan. Picture: Hemedia

Haines, 44, was taken while working for ACTED in Syria in March 2013, having previously helped local people in Libya and South Sudan. Picture: Hemedia

by SCOTT D’ARCY

THE Foreign Office has said it is “working urgently to verify” a video purporting to show the beheading of Scottish aid worker David Haines.

The 44-year-old was thought to be being held by Islamic militants in Syria after being taken hostage in March last year.

A video was released tonight which appears to show Mr Haines talking to the camera before being murdered.

Prime Minister David Cameron has described the beheading of British aid worker David Haines as “an act of pure evil”.

The Prime Minister said: “This is a despicable and appalling murder of an innocent aid worker. It is an act of pure evil.

“My heart goes out to the family of David Haines who have shown extraordinary courage and fortitude throughout this ordeal. Continue reading

Australia to deploy forces to Middle East

Date  September 14, 2014 – 2:18PM

Anne Davies and Gareth Hutchens

Abbott commits forces to Middle East

New video released by Islamic State militants purporting to show the murder of a British hostage prompts action in the Middle East.

Australia will send 600 military personnel, including SAS troops, and eight FA18 Super Hornets to the United Arab Emirates in preparation for a dramatic escalation of the multinational effort to contain the Islamic State that now holds parts of northern Iraq and Syria.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced the mobilisation and deployment from Darwin, where he is about to tour Arnhem Land. It followed another beheading, this time of an English aid worker, by Islamic State militants.

The troops include 400 air-related personnel to support the deployment of the fighter jets. An Early Warning and Control aircraft and an aerial refuelling aircraft will also be sent from  Amberley airbase in the next week. Continue reading

ISIS leader calls on Muslims in Ramadan message to build ‘Islamic state’

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi demands that all Muslims around the world pledge allegiance to him in audiotape.

By Qassim Abdul-Zahra, Sinan Salaheddin Jul. 1, 2014 | 8:27 PM

A member loyal to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) waves an ISIS flag in Raqqa.

A member loyal to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) waves an ISIS flag in Raqqa June 29, 2014. Photo by Reuters

AP – The leader of the extremist group that has swept over much of northern Syria and Iraq called on Muslims Tuesday to immigrate to the territory his group has seized to help build an Islamic state.

The 19-minute audiotape from Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi comes two days after his organization, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria unilaterally declared the establishment of an Islamic state, or caliphate, in the land it controls. It also proclaimed al-Baghdadi the caliph, and demanded that all Muslims around the world pledge allegiance to him. Continue reading