By Edward Johnson and Jason ScottSep 24, 2014 4:31 AM GMT+0200
An 18-year-old man shot dead by Australian police after stabbing two officers was a terrorism suspect under investigation for waving an Islamic State flag in a shopping center.
The teenager attacked two counter-terrorism officers yesterday evening outside a Melbourne police station, where he was due to be interviewed about his behavior, Australian Federal Police Acting Commissioner Andrew Colvin told reporters today. The man’s passport had recently been canceled on security grounds, Colvin said.
Australia raised its terrorism alert to the highest level in a decade this month, citing the threat posed by supporters of Islamic State extremists. Last week, authorities said police foiled an alleged beheading plot by the group after carrying out the nation’s largest ever anti-terrorism raid.
The incident last night “indicates there are people in our community who are capable of very extreme acts,” Prime Minister Tony Abbott said en route to New York, where he is attending a United Nations Security Council meeting on how to tackle the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.
Australia will send 600 military personnel, including SAS troops, and eight FA18 Super Hornets to the United Arab Emirates in preparation for a dramatic escalation of the multinational effort to contain the Islamic State that now holds parts of northern Iraq and Syria.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced the mobilisation and deployment from Darwin, where he is about to tour Arnhem Land. It followed another beheading, this time of an English aid worker, by Islamic State militants.
The troops include 400 air-related personnel to support the deployment of the fighter jets. An Early Warning and Control aircraft and an aerial refuelling aircraft will also be sent from Amberley airbase in the next week. Continue reading →
Court President Sang-Hyun Song requested their immediate release and urged Tripoli to ensure their safety. His statement issued Saturday said “these four international civil servants have immunity when on an official ICC mission.”
The four, including Australian lawyer Melinda Taylor, were detained Thursday as they were trying to meet with Saif al-Islam Gadhafi in Zintan, southwest of Tripoli, where he has been held by revolutionary fighters since his capture in November. The delegation has been assigned by the court to discuss his defense arrangements.
Sources in Libya say Taylor was trying to pass documents to Saif during the visit. They said police also found a camera and a recording device on another female member of the delegation during a search after the visit.
Libya’s representative to the ICC, Ahmed al-Jahani, said Taylor was “not in prison but under house arrest in Zintan” where she was being questioned.
Smoke over the Opera House … an image in an al-Qaeda-linked magazine.
Australia has been named as a specific target for pyro-terrorism in the latest edition of an online terrorism magazine linked with al-Qaeda.
A picture of the Opera House with smoke clouds behind it – captioned ”Sydney city on fire” – has been used to illustrate a story that promotes the use of bushfires as terrorist attacks.
The article in Inspire magazine, titled ”It is of your freedom to ignite a firebomb”, gives a step-by-step guide to building an ”ember bomb”, which it advocates as the best way to start destructive fires.
The article’s release was condemned yesterday by the Attorney-General, Nicola Roxon, who said there was no imminent threat against Australia.
However, Ms Roxon said it was a timely reminder, one year since the death of Osama bin Laden, that the threat of violent extremism in Australia remained. ”I have instructed my department to draw this material to the attention of relevant authorities, including the Australian Federal Police and the Australian Communications and Media Authority.”