ISIS claims Tunisian beach resort massacre

2015-06-27 09:00
(File: AP)(File: AP)

Tunis – The Islamic State group on Saturday claimed responsibility for a massacre in a Tunisian seaside resort that killed nearly 40 people in the worst attack in the country’s recent history.

The jihadists said the gunman, who they identified as Abu Yahya al-Qayrawani, was a “solider of the caliphate” who had targeted enemies of ISIS and “dens… of vice” in Port el Kantaoui.

Most of those killed were “subjects of states that make up the crusader alliance fighting the state of the caliphate”, the group said in a statement released on Twitter.

The attack targeted “dens [of…] fornication, vice and apostasy in the city of Sousse” and was carried out “despite [security] measures strengthened around these dens on Kantaoui beach”, it added. Continue reading

Ansar-ut Tawhid and the Transnational Jihadist Threat to India

English: The buildings at the main courtyard, ...

English: The buildings at the main courtyard, Red Fort, New Delhi, India. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Publication: Terrorism Monitor Volume: 12 Issue: 12

June 13, 2014 03:21 PM Age: 8 days By: Animesh Roul

Transnational Islamist terrorist groups have recently made sporadic attempts to lure India’s Muslim population towards global jihad, frequently urging them to fight the democratically elected secular government. India-specific incitements have issued from al-Qaeda chief Ayman al Zawahiri and al-Qaeda ideologue Maulana Asim Umar through audio-visual messages that directly target Indian Muslims. A similar anti-India campaign was unleashed by a hitherto unknown group calling itself Ansar-ut Tawhid fi Bilad al-Hind (AuT – Supporters of Monotheism in the Land of India) through its media arm, al-Isabah Media. Its messages highlight the issue of government atrocities against Muslims in India and encourage Indian Muslims to join the ongoing Afghan or Syrian jihads and to carry out attacks inside India.

The AuT has issued at least four videotapes since October 2013, the most recent of them surfaced on May 17, when the group called for attacks against Indian targets worldwide. The ten-minute video featuring AuT leader Maulana Abdur Rahman al-Hindi urges other prominent jihadi leaders such as the Taliban’s Mullah Omar, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, Nasir Abd al-Wuhayshi of al-Qaeda in Arabian Peninsula, al-Shabaab’s Abdi Godane and Abd al-Malik Droukdel of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb to come forward to attack Indian Government interests and its economic centers in India and elsewhere as a means of “protecting the Muslims of India.” [1] Continue reading

Yemen Crisis Situation Reports: Update 142

By Katherine Zimmerman  July 11, 2012
clip_image001

Today’s suicide bombing in Sana’a, the second in two months, underscores the challenges faced by the country’s nascent government in restoring stability and security in Yemen. Last month, Yemeni security forces regained control of southern regions held by Ansar al Sharia, the insurgent arm of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP). AQAP’s ability to conduct asymmetrical attacks has not been significantly reduced, however.

A suicide bomber attacked Yemen’s Police Academy in Sana’a, the capital. The attack occurred at 1:30pm local time in Sana’a when the police cadets were coming out of class. At least nine people were killed in the blast, according to Yemen’s Interior Ministry. Some sources are reporting that over 22 people were killed. In May, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) targeted troops rehearsing a military parade in Sana’a, killing close to one hundred soldiers.

Yemeni security officials have been targeted by car bombs. In the past week, at least two assassination attempts have been made in Sana’a: a bomb planted in the car of Lt. Col. Mohammed al Qudami, an intelligence officer, killed him on July 2, and two days later, Saleh al Mustafa, the police chief in Mathbah neighborhood in Sana’a, exited his vehicle moments before a car bomb detonated. The attacks are similar to targeted assassinations carried out by AQAP in the past.

Continue reading

Senior Sheikh At Jihadist Rally in Jordan: We Need Men To Carry Out The Plan Of Instating Allah’s Rule On Earth

clip_image002 June 4, 2012        Special Dispatch No.4771

The following report is a complimentary offering from MEMRI‘s Jihad and Terrorism Threat Monitor (JTTM).

Subscription information is available at http://subscriptions.memri.org/content/en/member_registr_jttm.htm.

A 90-minute video posted on YouTube[1] documents a jihadist rally in Jordan, dedicated to the cause of freeing mujahideen incarcerated in Jordanian prisons, chief among them being Sheikh Abu Muhammad Al-Maqdisi. The most prominent speaker at the conference, jihadist sheikh Abu Muhammad Al-Tahawi, called on those present to support the imprisoned mujahideen, and described the Jordanian regime as heretical, corrupt and oppressive. He urged Arabs and Muslim regimes to take a lesson from the collapse of regimes in the region, and advised them to stop relying on NATO, return to Islam, and reconcile with their peoples – otherwise their future would be in jeopardy. Finally, he called upon the rally participants not to be afraid of these regimes, and to join the efforts to establish an Islamic caliphate and to instate Allah‘s law throughout the world.

The following are the main points of his speech.

clip_image003

Al-Tahawi opens his address by describing a letter he received from Sheikh Abu Muhammad Al-Maqdisi, which spoke of the anguish and torture suffered by the mujahideen in prison and of the discrimination they suffer compared to the other prisoners, and called on everyone to support them.

Al-Tahawi states that the mujahideen are in prison for raising the banner of “there is no god but Allah,” and for carrying out the “great task” of defending the blood and the land of the Muslims – whereas the regime that imprisoned them is a “jahili and horribly corrupt regime… whose key officials have sold out the state and its citizens. With one hand they kill and with the other they rob the poor of their livelihood.” The sheikh declares that the Arab regimes are even worse than the Western ones, because the latter regimes, though heretical, are at least uncorrupt, while the Arab regimes are both heretical and corrupt, in addition to oppressing and starving their peoples.

Continue reading

Syrian rebels abduct 5 top Hizballah officers, including Nasrallah’s nephew

DEBKAfile Exclusive Report June 1, 2012, 6:11 PM (GMT+02:00)

clip_image002

HIzballah security chief Wafiq Safa married to Nasrallah’s sister

The Lebanese Shiite Hizballah, after a 25-year record of kidnap and murder against Israelis, Americans and other Westerners, was dismayed to find the shoe on the other foot this week when Syrian rebels, including members of the Syrian Free Army, announced they were holding two separate groups of its members.
The first group of eleven was captured May 22 in a bus heading home through Aleppo from a pilgrimage to Iran. The second episode sent shock waves rolling as far as Tehran and the Al Qods Brigades command. debkafile’s military and intelligence sources reveal that still unidentified commandos, guided apparently by precise intelligence, this week commandeered a Hizballah vehicle driving through Syria and captured five top-ranking Hizballah officers. A sixth escaped. Upon reaching Beirut, he reported the officers were being held hostage by the SFA.
Despite the veil of secrecy clamped down on the episode, debkafile exclusively names the kidnapped officers as Ali Safa, a senior officer of Hizballah’s intelligence service and nephew of Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah. (His father Wafiq Safa, head of the organization’s internal security agency, is married to Nasrallah’s sister.)

The abducted party also included Hussein Hamid, Dep. Commander of Hizballah forces in South Lebanon;  Ali Zerayb, member of the Hizballah Jihad Council – the equivalent of its general command; Hassan Arzouni, chief of intelligence in the Bint Jbeil district bordering on Israel; and Aras Shoeib, head of training in the Beqaa Valley of E. Lebanon.

Continue reading

Al-Qaeda will expose double agent’s identity, security chiefs fear

Security chiefs believe the identity of the double agent who foiled an al-Qaeda underwear bomb plot will be exposed by the terrorist group within weeks.

clip_image001

It was hoped that the death of al-Awlaki, its chief recruiter and planner, would have proved a fatal blow to AQAP Photo: AP

By Sean Rayment, Philip Sherwell and Jason Lewis

8:30PM BST 12 May 2012

MI5 fear that militant Islamists will attempt to exact revenge on the British spy, who penetrated al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsular (AQAP), by publishing his photograph on the internet – a move designed to incite extremists to hunt him down.

Sources have described the British spy as “gold dust”, adding that he was one of just a handful of agents in the last ten years to have successfully penetrated one of the groups aligned to al-Qaeda’s concept of global Jihad.

AQAP now represents the “greatest operational threat” to Britain and America, according to senior Whitehall sources.

The group is known for its use of modern communication techniques including the publication of an English-language magazine, Inspire, which is distributed to supporters over the internet.

The agent, a British passport holder of Saudi heritage, volunteered to take part in a suicide mission but instead escaped with an underwear bomb designed to blow up a US airliner.

He is understood to have been recruited and trained by MI5’s G6 section – the ultra-secret part of the organisation responsible for agent handling – before being sent on his mission to penetrate the Yemeni-based terror group.

A former security official told The Sunday Telegraph that although the mission to penetrate AQAP was a success, the agent was now “burned” and would never be able to take part in covert operations again.

Continue reading

Spy who uncovered underwear bomb plot is British national, sources say

Trouser Bomber at Home

Trouser Bomber at Home (Photo credit: Mike Licht, NotionsCapital.com)

would-be suicide bomber was actually a British national, working through British intelligence to infiltrate the terror organization in Yemen.

By Robert Windrem
NBC News

The spy who helped Western intelligence agencies thwart a plot to bomb a U.S.-bound airliner was a British national of Middle Eastern origin, sources tell NBC News.

The sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, also say that British intelligence was “heavily involved” in recruiting the spy, who has not yet been identified publicly, and penetrating the plot by al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula to detonate a new, more sophisticated underwear bomb aboard a U.S. jetliner.

A senior U.S. counterterrorism official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, would say only that multiple friendly security services were involved in the operation. Saudi Arabia’s counterterrorism operation also were involved, other U.S. officials have told NBC News.

U.S. and British officials have long reported that AQAP has wanted to recruit Muslims with Western passports to carry out attacks like the one revealed this week. As an example, the officials cited AQAP’s recruitment of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, who failed in the Christmas Day 2009 attempt to bring down Northwest Airlines Flight 253 over Detroit.

Continue reading