“Bloodshed” is the daily news coming out of Syria these days. While the protest against the regime of President Assad have turned into a full grown war with a militant insurgency fighting the dictator in Damascus, Al-Qaida sees its chance for establishing a base in the country and calls for Syrians and other Arabs to join the fight against Assad.
The terrorist network has just released a new video message by its Amir Dr.Ayman az-Zawahiri, titled “Go Forward, O Lions Of Sham!”.
“Do not rely on the West or America or the Arab governments and Turkey” Zawahiri says in the new video tape, “You know what they are planning against you!”
“People of Syria do not depend on the Arab League the corrupt governments which are supporting it, the Al-Qaida leader continues, “If we want freedom we must be liberated from this regime. If we want justice we must take revenge on this regime.”
Zawahiri continues saying Mujahidin from Turkey, Iraq and other places should join the Syrian resistance in their fight against the ruling regime.
It is the Al-Qaida leader´s second message to the Syrian people. The first one was released by the Al-Qaida media wing “As-Sahab” in July 2011. In that video tape Zawahiri claimed US-President Obama was planning on replacing Assad with another Pro-American ruler in Damascus.
“You are an example, explaining lessons to your Arab and Muslim nation in sacrifice, steadfastness and the struggle against oppression”, Zawahri said in the July 2011 tape to the Syrian people, “How could you not? You are the sons of the Levant, the front for Jihad and martyrdom.”
Posted on 2012/02/12 | by Florian Flade
- Al Qaeda Increasingly Involved in Syria (newsy.com)
- Syria: Regime rejects Arab League call for peacekeepers – live updates (guardian.co.uk)
- Zawahiri backs Syria uprising in new video (nation.com.pk)
- Al-Qa’ida chief urges outside help for Syria rebels (independent.co.uk)
- New al-Qaida video suggests Somalia alliance (openchannel.msnbc.msn.com)
- The Arab League has misjudged its actions on Syria | Abdel Bari Atwan (guardian.co.uk)
- Zawahiri supports Syria uprising in new video: SITE (nation.com.pk)
- Arab League urges joint UN-Arab peacekeeping mission in Syria (guardian.co.uk)
- Talks explore prospects for al-Assad exile (theromangate.wordpress.com)