- Rafsanjani criticizes Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei’s statements regarding changing Iran’s presidential system into a parliamentary system: “Of course, the Leader has postponed this issue to a distant future where it may become worthy of consideration. Possible realization of such a plan preconditions change of the Constitution, and change of the presidential nature of the regime. Otherwise, weakening the republican part of the regime would be contrary to the constitution and it would weaken the people’s power of choice. This was most certainly not the purpose of the Leader.”
- 29 parliamentarians who planned to question Ahmadinejad cancel their request.
- Gholam-Hossein Elham, Islamic Resistance Party co-founder, says his statements concerning party support for Ahmadinejad were not meant to be published.
- Speaker of the Parliament Ali Larijani on the plot to assassinate the Saudi Ambassador to the United States, on Iran/Saudi relations and on the “strategic conflict” Iran and the United States:
- “They have found an opium addict to plan a terrorist operation. This shows they have not contemplated properly… Has an opium addict ever conducted such a military/terrorist operation…?”
- “In Saudi Arabia there are wise people who know that this is a copycat operation, but under any circumstance, we have some clear explanations…”
- “We have different views of point compared with certain regional countries. For example, we defended the revolution in Egypt, and it is possible that the Saudis, with their own logic, did not support this revolution. We do not have any enmity with Saudi Arabia, but have two different viewpoints…”
- “We have a conflict with the Americans, but our conflict is not of this kind. Our conflict is a strategic conflict, because we are asking why the United States is supporting regional dictators…”
- “Americans are uninvited guests [in Iraq] who should be chased out with the stick. They will not easily leave…”
- [E] Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi left Tehran for a several-hour visit to Saudi Arabia on Tuesday.
- [E] Millions of Iranian students are due to stage nationwide rallies on November 4 to voice their strong support for the Wall Street protests which have now overwhelmed all the western countries ruled by the capitalist system.
- [E] Ahmadinejad warned that the western powers have hatched a plot to loot Libya’s wealth and resources now that the country’s revolution has prevailed over Muammar al-Qaddafi’s dictatorial rule.
Military and Security
- Aftab News releases information on Lebanese Hezbollah leader Nasrallah’s children.
- Finance Minister Shams al-Din Hosseini says Iran’s economic growth has reached 4% per year.
Religion, Society and Culture
- Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance praises pre-revolutionary singers Khatereh Parvaneh, Fakhereh Saba, Qamar al-Molouk Vaziri, and others. Living singers who received the honors from the ministry were Parirokh Shah-Yalani (aka Pari Zangeneh), Soudabeh Shams, Hengameh Akhavan, Fatemeh Vaezi (aka Parisa, who lives outside of Iran and did not receive the prize in person), Shahla Milani, and singers Parvin Saleh, Nasrin Nasehi Arfa’ Otraei, and Ofelie Partov.
- Dossier on Bernard Lewis, the “most dangerous Zionist theoretician.”
Photo of the Day