Al Qaeda marked 10th anniversary of 9/11 with hour-long video featuring new leader and unreleased footage of Bin Laden
Last updated at 5:30 PM on 13th September 2011
Al Qaeda has marked the 10th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks with an hour-long video released on jihadist websites, an intelligence monitoring service has revealed.
The 62-minute video, called The Dawn of Imminent Victory, was posted on jihadist forums yesterday. Zawahiri is shown in a still photo.
Rallying call: Ayman al-Zawahiri, the new leader of Al Qaeda, is seen in a still from a video timed to coincide with the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks
Message: The hour-long video also featured unreleased footage from Osama bin Laden, who was killed by U.S. Navy Seals in May
In it, he said: ‘Ten years have passed since the blessed attacks on New York and Washington and Pennsylvania, that mighty event which shook and continues to shake the pillars of the global crusade.’
U.S. intelligence officials say Zawahiri tops their hit list after the killing of bin Laden by Navy Seals in Pakistan in May.
The country was on high alert over the weekend over what officials described as a credible but unconfirmed terror threat on Washington or New York.
Zawahiri is quoted as saying he hoped the ‘Arab Spring’ protest movements that have overthrown leaders in Egypt, Tunisia and Libya would establish what he called true Islam.
He said: ‘The Arab people have been freed from the chains of fear and terror, so who is the winner and who is the loser?
‘The blessed rebellious Arab earthquake has turned America’s calculations head over heels.
‘We ask God that the spring of strength and liberation be the bitter winter of America and a dark tunnel from which it will not emerge except in defeat.’
And he asked Muslims worldwide to focus their efforts on fighting the U.S.
Al Qaeda, which called for the violent overthrow of secular Arab governments, lost a great deal of relevance as a result of the political upheaval across the Middle East and North Africa.
In the video, Bin Laden is said to warn Americans against ‘falling as slaves’ to the control of major corporations and claimed the ‘tyranny’ of capitalism had brought the U.S. to the brink of bankruptcy.
- Al Qaeda Leader Ayman al-Zawahiri Releases New 9/11 Message (blippitt.com)
- Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri tells Muslims to avenge Osama bin Laden (telegraph.co.uk)
- Terrorism to Avenge Bin Laden Death a Worry for 9/11 Anniversary (theromangate.wordpress.com)
- New al Qaeda leader releases message to mark 9/11 (edition.cnn.com)
- What Osama bin Laden and Metal Gear Solid Have in Common [Metal Gear] (kotaku.com)
- Another ones bites the dust… (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Latest issue of Inspire highlights al Qaeda succession (longwarjournal.org)
- The Daily: Zawahiri planned 9/11 anniversary terror attacks (shortformblog.tumblr.com)