Captive names high-ranking major as co-conspirator in planned attack on Jyllands-Posten A high-ranking officer in Pakistan‘s intelligence agency, ISI, was involved in the planning of a large-scale terrorist attack on Jyllands-Posten newspaper, according to Pakistani-American terrorist David Headley. Headley has…
A high-ranking officer in Pakistan’s intelligence agency, ISI, was involved in the planning of a large-scale terrorist attack on Jyllands-Posten newspaper, according to Pakistani-American terrorist David Headley.
Headley has been imprisoned in Chicago after confessing to helping plan the 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai and other terror attacks that did not go ahead, including one against Jyllands-Posten newspaper in Copenhagen as revenge for publishing the Mohammed cartoons in 2005.
In a confidential report acquired by Politiken newspaper, Headley described planning the terrorist attack on Jyllands-Posten with a high-ranking Pakistani major named ‘Major Iqbal’.
The confidential report of more than 100 pages in length is from an interrogation of Headly by Indian authorities, which took place in Chicago in the summer of 2010. In the report, numerous meetings between Headley and members of Pakistan’s secret service, including Major Iqbal, are described in minute detail, reports Politiken.
Headley has confessed to working with the Pakistani terrorist group Lashkar e-Taiba, which he claims is tightly interwoven with the country’s secret service. This would mean it was co-operating with terrorist organisations at the same time as the Pakistani government was officially allied to the US and Denmark, among other countries, in the war on terror.
The revelation earlier this month that Osama Bin Laden was living for years in Pakistan in close proximity to a large Pakistani military base added further fuel to accusations of double-dealing.
See related stories
Published 13.05.11 11:46
- U.S. Files New Charges in Mumbai Attack (online.wsj.com)
- US Terrorism Trial: Pakistan’s Foreign Relations Nightmare (thetruthhaschanged.com)
- Elusive ex-commando to replace bin Laden? (msnbc.msn.com)
- 4 more men charged in 2008 Mumbai terror attack (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- I-Team Report: Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence – ABC7Chicago.com (news.google.com)
- ISI involvement will surface in Chicago trial of Rana (hindu.com)
- Pakistan’s terror ties at center of upcoming Chicago trial (knoxnews.com)
- Pakistan’s Terror Ties at Center of Upcoming Chicago Trial (propublica.org)
- You: Court to hear of ISI link to terrorism (guardian.co.uk)